400ppm

Last week our planet quietly and inexorably passed a new threshold, leading to a new future for humanity. Last week, for the first time in human history, a daily average of 400ppm of carbon dioxide was recorded.  It is at least three million years since there has been this much carbon in the atmosphere.

This takes us way past the 350ppm that is the safe upper level for stabilising global warming at two degrees. Since reading Judy's post I feel like I have been in mourning. I keep looking at the children and in my head I am saying, 'Oh my darlings, I am so sorry that we have done this to your future.'

As one of the scientists in the article above said, 400 is just a number - we have been skirting it by a degree or two for some time. But it is psychologically significant. I feel like I have had a blow to the solar plexus. I feel that now - it is impossible not to do something.

I can't understand why this is not on the front page of every newspaper in the world.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree. This is so scary. But should I feel guilty that I have my central heating on? I am trying to reduce consumption of "stuff". I am greener than most people I know but what to do, what to do?
Anonymous said…
OK, just read Judy. And now I feel I'm not doing enough.
Jo said…
Lucinda, I know just how you feel, both the 'what to do, what to do?' state of mind, and then that sinking feeling of knowing we aren't doing enough..
There is so much to think about. I tell you, it has definitely given some impetus to my flagging resolve to reduce our electricity consumption... and everything else..
Heather said…
I just read Judy's post. Sometimes it is good to see the hard facts laid out in front of me to get my awareness of this in the forefront of my mind. I'm going to do better.
Jo said…
It's just overwhelming. But we will do better, we have to.
Anonymous said…
On the bright side, it has finally made mainstream media. The climate change naysayers can't deny the ppm of carbon although I'm sure they'll try to refute it somehow but as depressed and horrified and angry and everything that this news made me, I am at least glad it's finally made mainstream media.

Popular Posts