Over the Fence




I woke up one day this week and realised that we had not done any fun things together as a family for far too long. I threw the floor open to suggestions. I wanted to walk. Posy wanted to picnic. Rosy just goes with the flow. So yesterday we picnicked and walked. We have a magnificent river gorge in Launceston that cuts right through town and provides wilderness right on the doorstep, so we packed a picnic and off we went. We hiked up along the river from the main picnic grounds, far from the madding crowd.


It was the most glorious autumn day. I am rather goal oriented at times, and was all for marching us along the river path on the 90-minute return official walk. The girls want to clamber over boulders and lie on their stomachs and look in rock pools. I took a deep breath and calmed down a notch. So we climbed over the fence that was keeping us safely on the path and went down to visit with the river.


We found so many treasures. A willow tree sprouting in a rock.


Blue wrens flitting under the trees and willy wagtails doing daring aerobatics in pursuit of juicy bugs. Moss on rocks, algae waving eerily in rock pools, tiny purple wild flowers.


But mostly we just sat in the sun and watched the river. Sometimes I forget that we need to stop and sit in the sun, be together, have little adventures. Sometimes too it is important not to follow the path but to climb over the fence and see what lies on the other side.



On the way back...



...Posy demonstrated her super power of holding up gigantic boulders...



What would we do without her?

Comments

Treaders said…
Those are beautiful photos. And good for you for being aware enough to slow down and savour the moment. We all need to do that sometimes. Anna
Linda said…
Fabulous photos. I wish I had been there with you. Glad you took the opportunity to enjoy being out and about with your girls.
Anonymous said…
What a lovely day! And a lesson for me. While I notice things around me, I am hung up on doing "the walk", doing the track. I ramble elsewhere looks good for the soul.

Where did you put the picnic basket while walking? (Sorry I am hung up on practicalities.)

And don't you look so Young and Beautiful. From my perspective as a senior, you look even younger than you did in January.
Mimi said…
Making memories, we call it Jo. What a gorgeous spot. Mimi xxx
GretchenJoanna said…
What I love, besides the glimpse of you and your smiling girls together, is all that rock! Nothing is more wonderful than a stream running between rock cliffs and boulders. I suppose it may not be as comfortable as a grassy bank, but for some reason it's thrilling to me. I just love rock and rocks....

How sweet to have this place right in town! Thank you for sharing the fun.
Jo said…
Anna, I have to try hard to remember to slow down and have fun with the kids! Silly, but true.

Linda, come over for a picnic any time:)

Lucinda, I drew the mummy short straw and got to take the basket back to the car. When I got back the girls had climbed to the top of the giant rock in the second photo. Then we set out on our hike/rock scramble.

And I really am chuffed that you have mistaken my 16yo daughter for me:) We do have matching glasses now, but seriously, she is much more attractive, and no grey hairs or wrinkles. No photos of me today:)

Gretchen Joanna, I love rock too, and so do all my children. They all love jumping all over rocks like mountain goats! And yes, I am very lucky to have a wilderness right on the doorstep so to speak. Really no excuse not to get back to nature.
Jo said…
Mimi, yes, memories. It would be lovely for them to be able to look back on lots of lovely days like this. Me too:)
Anonymous said…
Are you sure? It looks like you. And I remember you looking you and fresh faced and gorgeous.
Anonymous said…
Second you should be young.
Jo said…
Well, I AM fresh faced and gorgeous, of course...
whata wonderful reminder, to enjoy life :-)
Jo said…
e, yes, let's! Sometimes I get a bit too 'nose to the grindstone' and panicky about everything that needs to get done..

Popular Posts